Traffic Tickets and Civil Infractions

Speeding Tickets, Parking Tickets and Other Civil Infractions

Most of the time a Speeding Ticket or other Traffic Violation is not a criminal matter.  These traffic infractions can be costly but do not inherently include punishment by jail time.  In many cases, individuals can take care of these matters with little or no help from a traffic attorney; however, if you want to contest a Speeding Ticket or other Traffic Violation, a traffic attorney can help you navigate the process.

Call our office today at 360.204.5954 to schedule a consultation with a lawyer who can help you if you have received a civil citation, a traffic infraction, non-traffic infraction or parking infraction.

What is a Civil Infraction?

A civil infraction is a violation of a local or county ordinance or state law, but such violation does not rise to the level of a misdemeanor crime.  The courts identify 3 types of Civil Infractions in Washington State: Traffic Infractions, Non-Traffic Infractions and Parking Infractions.

Traffic Infractions: Speeding Tickets and other Traffic Citations

Traffic Infractions pertain to both motor vehicles and pedestrians.  Speeding tickets, citations for illegal lane changes, and jaywalking are examples of Traffic Infractions in Washington State.  Most of the time, a Traffic Infraction that results in a Speeding ticket or other traffic citation can be settled by paying the assessed fee to the court listed on the ticket.  This may be a local, municipal court such as Bainbridge Island, Poulsbo, Bremerton or Port Orchard.  This may also be the Kitsap County District Court located in Port Orchard.   You may also ask for a mitigation hearing with the hope of having the penalty reduced.

Contest or Fight a Speeding Ticket or other Traffic Citation

Individuals can request a Contested Hearing from the court if they wish to challenge or fight a speeding ticket or other traffic citation.

Consult with a Local Traffic Lawyer who can help you Fight a Speeding Ticket

Speeding tickets and other traffic citations may not be a crime, but they can be very expensive and have other consequence such as increased insurance rates or loss of your driver’s license under certain circumstances.  If you want to contest or fight a speeding ticket or other traffic citation, a traffic lawyer can help you contest a ticket.  Call our office today at 360.204.5954 to schedule a free consultation with a traffic lawyer who can help you.

Non-Traffic Infractions

Non-traffic infractions may include, but are not limited to, building or fire code violations, licensing violations, noise ordinance violations and animal leash ordinance violations.  While local municipal courts or the district court may have jurisdiction over matters that are civil infractions, in some cases another government agency may have authority over the matter.

Contesting a Non-Traffic Infraction

If you have been cited for a Non-Traffic infraction and want to contest the citation, you can request a mitigation hearing or a contested hearing for your case.  If you choose to fight the citation, an attorney at Kitsap Criminal Defense can help you through that process.  Call our office today to schedule a consultation with an attorney.

Call to Schedule a Confidential, Free Consultation with a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Contest a speeding ticket, civil infraction, traffic infraction, or E-DU, in Kitsap County. Image of a man driving.

What is an E-DUI in Washington State

E-DUI is the use of personal electronic devices while driving a motor vehicle on a public highway (RCW 46.61.672).  This includes, but is not limited to, cellphones, tablet computers and laptops.  CB Radios are not included in this statute.  If you are driving while talking on your cellphone, texting while driving or similar behavior you can be charged with E-DUI.

E-DUI does not include use of communication devices by first responders in emergency vehicles, transit drivers using relay devices, or individual employed as a commercial motor vehicle driver who uses a personal electronic device within the scope of such individual’s employment if such use is permitted under 49 U.S.C. Sec. 31136 as it existed on July 23, 2017. (RCW 46.61.672)

Penalties for E-DUI in Washington State

E-DUI in Washington State is a traffic infraction that can be punished by monetary fines.   For more information on fighting a traffic infraction in court, see our Traffic and Civil Infraction page.

Kitsap County Felony Lawyer, Kitsap County Misdemeanor Defense Lawyer, Compass Legal Services Logo

Compass Legal Services, P.S

Kitsap Criminal Defense is a division of Compass Legal Services, P.S. (CLS), a multi-practice firm founded in 2014 by our Managing Attorney, Heather Forrler.  CLS is a trusted legal resource for individuals, families and businesses throughout Kitsap County and often beyond.  Our firm helps hundreds of clients each year in the practice areas of:

Criminal Law matters may intersect or cooccur with legal issues from other practice areas and our firm is privileged to assist clients in matters within the entire scope of our practice.